Over the past two decades, the awareness of applying dental sealants has increased tremendously. While many people still argue that regular brushing and flossing can keep the teeth healthy and strong, sealants lend additional protection to any depressions present in the teeth that can be missed by brushing and flossing.
To put it simply, a dental sealant is basically a thin layer of plastic coating that’s painted onto the chewing surface of the teeth in the patient’s mouth. The sealant instantly bonds over every tooth’s surface to fill the cracks and protects them against decay.
According to the statistics revealed by the American Dental Association (ADA), sealants have reduced the development of cavities in children and adolescents by 86% in a period of one year and by 58% in a span of four years.
All in all, sealants must be used in collaboration with comprehensive dental care which includes regular brushing, flossing, fluoride treatments, and of course, a healthy diet.
Sealant treatment also has multiple benefits. While it is most commonly used on children, adults suffering from tooth damage can also benefit from it. Dentists however, suggest that children must get sealants on their permanent teeth (molars and premolars) as soon as they grow out.
Benefits of Sealants
Here are some of the most prominent benefits that can be reaped from dental sealants:
- Sealants effectively protect the grooves and depressions present in the teeth where food particles and plaque often settle and are left untouched by brushing and flossing.
- Sealants are very easy and quick to apply; it takes just a few minutes to apply them on a tooth.
- They are strong enough to bear constant chewing of food particles and can even last for several years before needing reapplication.
- Sealants are affordable and less obtrusive when it comes to preventing cavities.
- To avoid social embarrassment, sealants are clear or white-colored so they remain invisible when you are smiling, eating and talking.
- Both children and adult can benefit from sealants to a great extent.
Sealants can provide support and prevent tooth decay for as much as 10 years, if proper care and dental health regime is followed alongside it. If needed, your dentist can also replace the sealant at any given time.
The process of applying sealants is quick and painless; all that’s required of you is to stay still throughout the appointment.
Are you considering dental sealants to protect your teeth against damage? Our team of credible dentists in Germantown, Gaithersburg, Fredrick and Rockville, MD will treat you in an exceptional manner while making sure you leave the clinic satisfied! Read what our clients have to say!